Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Old School "Magic"



Yesterday I ran Swords & Wizardry for the first time. It was a very short session, improvised on the spot, the result of my cousin’s curiosity about table-top RPGs. He saw me reading the core book and asked about it.

After a bit of explanation, I encouraged him to build a 1st level Fighter – the brave and liar “Sir” Philippines. I described to him a small town taken by a group of brigands. After facing a trio of those bandits, my cousin decided that he didn’t wanted to be a hero, and took off to the local woods where, while searching for a shelter to spend the night, he was caught by a pair of hungry wolves and died a totally non-heroic death.

I was astonished by the game’s lethality, but more so by my cousin’s reaction: he loved it! Even his character's death seamed funny to him, because he said to me that it was his choice to go into the woods. He even asked, later, about the town and the bandits.

I hope I can hook him up for another game soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment